What to do? What to do? We worry and fret when we have decisions to make – and we can end up stuck where we are. We don’t trust ourselves or the Universe to do that. We get caught up in our minds, going from first step to last step – when all we have to do is take the next step.
The Next Step
The first step needs action to start it,
The last requires patience to end,
So we question, which one’s most important,
When we realize our dreams’ our best friend.
Well, the answer is neither, they’re equal,
But the one that will help you win through
And connect what you start to the finish,
Is the next step that’s waiting for you.
Life’s dreamers are great Goal Achievers!
Their faith and persistence just blends
Into one awesome cocktail of knowledge,
That whatever they want they can get.
You see, they never visualize failure,
It’s success that they see shining through.
It’s essential to start and to finish,
But the next step is what you must do.
© Alison Wilson
I love quotes- I always have. I started collecting them in my teenage years but lost the books that contained them.. while I believe we know our own paths, and can learn to trust our own wisdom, reading someone else’s words give us a perspective we did not have or give us a whole new way of thinking. These are certainly among my favourite quotes – and if I had to pick my favourite, it would be number 18. As I turn 50, I also love number 9. Which is your favourite?
1. The darkest hour has only sixty minutes. ~ Morris Mandel
2. Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow. ~ Proverb
3. If I had my life to live over, I would perhaps have more actual troubles but I’d have fewer imaginary ones. ~ Don Herold
4. If you’re doing your best, you won’t have any time to worry about failure. ~ H. Jackson Brown, Jr
5. You’ve got to dance like nobody’s watching and love like it is never going to hurt. ~ Ann Wells
6. Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. Martin Luther King
7. I’ve chosen to treat my life more like a party than something to stress about. ~ Martin Short
8. It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot
9. I think age is terribly overrated. You’re okay as long as you don’t grow up. By all means grow old, but don’t mature. Remain childlike, retain wonder, the ability to be flabbergasted by something. ~ Billy Connolly
10. There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. ~ Albert Einstein
11. When your heart speaks, take good notes. ~ Judith Campbell
12. If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice.~ Meister Eckhart
13. Find the good and praise it. ~ Alex Haley
14. Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn’t learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn’t learn a little, at least we didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn’t die; so, let us all be thankful. ~ Buddha
15. Get mad, then get over it. ~ Colin Powell
16. Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Native American Proverb
17. Have no fear of perfection–you’ll never reach it. ~ Salvador Dali
18. The last of human freedoms – is the ability to chose one’s attitude in a given set of circumstances. ~ Viktor E. Frankl
19. Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter. ~ Mark Twain
20. There are times when it is hard to believe in the future, when we are temporarily just not brave enough. When this happens, concentrate on the present. Cultivate le petit bonheur (the little happiness) until courage returns. ~ Ardis Whitman
21. We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.~ Joseph Campbell
22. You lose the balance of your sould if you not learn to take care of yourself. ~ John O’Donohue
23. Turn your wounds into wisdom. ~ Oprah Winfrey
24. To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
25. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough. ~ William Saroyan
26. When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. ~ Franklin D. Roosevelt
27. Learn to enjoy every minute of your life. Be happy now. Don’t wait for something outside of yourself to make you happy in the future.~ Earl Nightingale
28. If you judge people, you have no time to love them. ~ Mother Theresa
29. To journey without being changed is to be a nomad. To change without journeying is to be a chameleon. To journey and be transformed by the journey is to be a pilgrim. ~ Mark Nepo
30. There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ‘em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ‘em.~ Kevin Welch
31. I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
32. Your playing small does not serve the world. ~ Marianne Williamson
33. I failed my way to success. ~ Thomas Edison
34. You have to decide what your highest priorities are and have the courage—pleasantly, smilingly, non-apologetically, to say “no” to other things. And the way you do that is by having a bigger“yes” burning inside. The enemy of the “best” is often the “good.” ~ Stephen Covey
35. Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened. ~ Dr Seuss
36. Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today.~ James Dean
37. Let your dreams take over. Fly with the eagles. Soar into life. The world is waiting for you. ~ Fran Watson
38. Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be. ~Grandma Moses
39. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible; to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. ~ Donna Markova
40. No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
41. Life is not accumulation, it is about contribution. ~ Stephen Covey
42. Positive anything is better than negative thinking. ~ Elbert Hubbard
43. You must be the change you want to see in the world. ~ M.K. Gandhi
44. If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals. J K Rowling
45. Never miss a good chance to shut up. ~ Will Rogers
46. We cannot fill up our emptiness with objects, possessions or people. ~ John O’Donohue
47. My favourite things in life don’t cost any money. It’s really clear that the most precious resource we all have is time. Steve Jobs
48. Don’t quack like a duck – soar like an eagle. Ken Blanchard
49. Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. ~ Oscar Wilde
50. Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Such a great poem! Worrying about the past is a complete waste of energy, as you can’t change even one tiny part of it. Just learn from it. Worrying about the future is a complete waste of energy as anything you are thinking or planning is in your imagination. So why waste your energy? This poem is a powerful reminder to live in the moment, to be mindful, and to take the time to just enjoy your life – and smell the roses.
Today is the tomorrow I worried about yesterday
And today was such a lovely day,
that I wondered why I worried about today yesterday
So today I am not going to worry about tomorrow
There may not be a tomorrow anyway
So today I am going to live as if there is no tomorrow
And I am going to forget about yesterday.
Today is the tomorrow I planned for yesterday
And nearly all my plans for today did not plan out the way I thought they would yesterday
So today I am forgetting about tomorrow and I will plan for today
But not too strenuously
Today I will stop to smell a rose
I will tell a loved one how much I love her
I will stop planning for tomorrow and plan to make today the best day of my life.
Today is the tomorrow I was afraid of yesterday
And today was nothing to be afraid of
So today I will banish fear of the unknown
I will embrace the unknown as a learning experience full of exciting opportunities
Today, unlike yesterday I will not fear tomorrow.
Today is the tomorrow I dreamed about yesterday
And some of the dreams I dreamt about yesterday came true today
So today I am going to continue dreaming about tomorrow
And perhaps more of the dreams I dream today will come true tomorrow.
Today is the tomorrow I set goals for yesterday
And I reached some of those goals today
So today I am going to set slightly higher goals for today and tomorrow
And if tomorrow turns out to be like today
I will certainly reach all of my goals one day!
~~ Author Unknown ~~